Friday 4 January 2013

Nice start

Sunshine and a free afternoon was an invitation to step outside and start digging over one of my free beds. I am still contemplating my planting scheme for this year and with the offer of some free compost considering growing my potatoes in planter bags. This will make sticking to a crop rotation routine easier.

My garlic is coming along nicely and a look at my rhubarb revealed signs of life, I think in a few weeks I will divide the crown and move it to a new fruit bed I intend to make when the compost I have been given arrives. Possibly not the right time technically to split and move the rhubarb but with the weather being so over the place, do the seasonal guidelines matter that much?

Found my Horseradish root, I am not sure whether the leaves die back in winter or whether they have been ravaged by slugs. There were some promising shoots on the top so I divided my large clump into three and planted into a bed with lighter soil. The top of the roots looked nibbled which at the moment I am blaming on slugs. It seems they like the taste as much as I do.

As soon as I began gardening I was touched by the generosity of other gardeners being offered seeds, plants and now a truckload of compost. This is going to make a big difference to the plot and allow me to improve the beds that have a heavier clay soil. If time and weather allows I plan on moving out some of the soil and replacing it with the compost.

A very enjoyable start to gardening in 2013 - fingers crossed that the weather is kinder this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment