Wednesday 26 December 2012

When does it all begin?


I had a surprise this morning as I strolled around my plot after an absence of a week or so - my garlic has started to come up. Huge sigh of relief as my effort last year produced not a single shoot let alone a bulb; I think I planted them too deep in a part of the plot with a heavy clay soil. Learning from that disaster I choose a bed with a lighter soil and planted the cloves about an inch down from their tips.

If you grow throughout the year then gardening becomes circular and while circles do not have beginnings or ends I feel that the winter solstice for me marks the start of another year. I like the psychological boost and/or spiritual lift that being the other side of the longest night/shortest day brings.

Over the next few weeks I will start gearing up for a new season, my shallot order should arrive soon and the last weekend in January is Potato Day* at Garden Organic where I will buy my seed potatoes.

Although there could be plenty of wintry weather yet to come there is the possibility of a few warm sunny days out in the garden in January and February. These are the months when I like to do most of my digging. I find this is the time when the garden can look the most ordered and I can briefly feel in charge and full of optimism for the approaching Spring. 


*On Saturday 26th Potato Day  is for Garden Organic Members only while Sunday 27th is open to the public  - more details  here

No comments:

Post a Comment