Wednesday 7 November 2012

Moving On

The break in my blogging was due to experiencing the worst growing season I have known. I will admit my experience is limited but even so the weather statistics for this year's summer in the UK tell a sorry story. I pretty well gave up on my plot and so did most of my vegetables. It pretty well was a write off leaving me with little to write about.

The only semblance of success came from my runner beans and mangetout although this was the first time I had grown both. Even though I had nothing to judge them against I was pleased and surprised by the crop. It certainly gave me enough of a lift to start clearing the beds in September.

Looking for some inspiration and advice I watched this video by Alys Fowler on Winter Gardening and discovered "Hard-necked garlic" that although it has a shorter storage life than "soft-necked" is regarded as being superior for cooking. Alys explains more starting a 6 mins 20 secs in should you want to skip the rest.


So I ordered some "Lautrec Wight" garlic described as the king of garlic for the kitchen that I will be planting out in the next week. This will mark the start of a new gardening year for me with my fingers crossed that next year's weather will be better.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment