Sunday 19 February 2012

Desert Island Vegetables 4

In choosing eight vegetables for a fantasy desert island for some reason I feel the need to choose wisely. Perhaps it is the French proverb, “Be careful what you wish for” that is encourage me to create a list I could live with if I were to become a castaway.

 In examining my likely situation I am fairly certain that apart from collecting shellfish and trying to catch fish I am not going to become neither a hunter nor butcher. Perhaps after a few years without rescue the desire for bacon and sausages might induce me to try hunting a wild boar but it seems a risky venture. I am pretty sure a major worry being a castaway would be injury or illness.

For my fourth choice I will go for the carrot, another vegetable that can be eaten raw, just in case my fire making abilities are not as good as I imagine.

Another practical issue for this fantasy island would be the need to save seeds from my vegetables. This would preclude taking any F1 varieties, as the seeds probably would not come true. Thankfully there are plenty of Heritage varieties that as the name implies have been tried and test over many years. As for the techniques of saving carrot seeds here is a very useful video.


No comments:

Post a Comment