Tuesday 14 February 2012

Desert Island Vegetables 2



There definitely would be potatoes growing in my island garden although choosing what varieties to grow is not an easy question. For when it comes to the potato there are more varieties than Horatio could dream of, or you would imagine from the range offered by supermarkets.


My awakening to the range available to the grower happened a few years back on a visit to Potato Day at Garden Organic. Not only were there over a hundred varieties of seed potatoes on sale but I also encountered my first blue potato. Here is a short video made at this year’s event.





In choosing my varieties I would go for two varieties that I have already had success with, Vivaldi and Salad Blue. I would also take Sarpo and Blue Danube partly because of their resistance to blight but also being deep rooted they can deal with drought well.



Potatoes are a fairly easy vegetable to grow; you can even buy sacks to grow them in if you are short of space. They make quite an attractive plant and have pretty flowers. Digging down to uncover your crop has the excitement of unwrapping a present hoping that you will be pleased with what you discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment